Monday, July 4, 2011

Wednesday
I arrived in Berlin off of the night train around 8 in the morning, and was immediately struck by its scale.  Wikipedia says that it is the second largest city in the European Union. Its population is a little less than that of Los Angeles.
A good portion of the group from Calvin had been traveling Europe during this time, so I had made some plans to meet up with a fellow student also in Berlin and go with him on a free walking tour around Berlin. However, i was not able to find him, so I ended up going into a hostel in the city to see if the walking tour stopped there (and to get out of the rain and mooch off of their wi-fi). My friend had ended up deciding to go on a paid tour of the city, and i didn't really feel like paying, so we didn't end up meeting up.  Just like many of the other days, I walked around the city from landmark to landmark, and saw the Fernsehturm,  the Brandenburg Gate, and the Charlottenburg Palace (to name a few).   I enjoyed berlin, but was tired from traveling, and definitely ready to head home at this point.
Brandenburg gate.  From wikimedia.

Although i'm sure berlin has much to offer, i wasn't able to spend much time there - since the night train I took tuesday night began the last day I  had on my pass, i had to make it back to amsterdam that night.  I thought i had to catch the train around 4:30, but in a bout of paranoia i checked my itinerary and realized that i was actually supposed to leave at 3:40.  Classic closet dyslexia coming out to bite me! Anyways, i made it back to the station, but just barely.  from there, I took the train back, and got home at 11:58 that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment